Undertaking research

If you're a researcher interested in carrying out a study within our Trust, find out more about the process below.

 Content Editor

The Health Research Authority (HRA) manages the research approval process for the NHS in England. HRA approval is required for all types of research involving NHS staff, patients or carers. Information on applying for HRA approval, including NHS Research Ethics Committee approval where required, is available in the 'useful links' section below.
In addition to HRA approval, NHS organisations are now required to assess, arrange and confirm their capacity and capability to participate in research studies. Researchers need to submit all study documents approved by the HRA, along with the statement of activities and schedule of events to our Research Department for review. We will also need confirmation of HRA approval (and REC approval where appropriate) before your study can begin.
Researchers not employed by the Trust are required to apply for a Letter of Access or Honorary Research Contract. Depending on your current employer, this may involve completing a research passport or an NHS to NHS confirmation of pre-engagement checks form.
Please contact the Research Department if you wish to find out more about the process for gaining confirmation of capacity and capability for your research project. 
Useful links