Undertaking research

If you're a researcher interested in carrying out a study within our Trust, find out more about the process below.

 Content Editor

The Health Research Authority (HRA) manages the research approval process for the NHS in England. HRA approval is required for all types of research involving NHS staff, patients or carers. Information on applying for HRA approval, including NHS Research Ethics Committee approval where required, is available in the 'useful links' section below.

In addition to HRA approval, NHS organisations are required to assess, arrange and confirm their capacity and capability to participate in research studies. Researchers seeking to undertake studies in our Trust should contact the Research and Development team at an early stage to start discussions regarding assessing site suitability.  Researchers will then be required to submit their local information pack (including organisational information document) for review.  We will also need confirmation of HRA approval (and REC approval where appropriate) before your study can begin.

Researchers not employed by the Trust are required to apply for a Letter of Access or Honorary Research Contract. Depending on your current employer, this may involve completing a research passport or an NHS to NHS confirmation of pre-engagement checks form.

If you want to find our more about the about the process for gaining confirmation of capacity and capability for your research project contact the Research Department.

Useful links